Appointment Type: Fulltime Temporary
PURPOSE: Candidates selected for the accounting internship will be exposed to accounting functions critical to ORAU’s mission and will interact daily with the team that provides financial operations support for ORAU. The purpose of this internship is to better prepare current students and recent graduates to compete for accounting jobs after completion of the internship.
This internship will be administered by ORAU’s Scientific Assessment and Workforce Development (SAWD) division in collaboration with the ORAU Financial Operations team. Successful candidates will become temporary employees of ORAU for 12 months and will participate in hands-on accounting activities under the mentorship of an ORAU accounting professional. Additional ORAU intern activities may include learning about ORAU culture, policies and procedures, participating in team meetings, and interacting with other interns across ORAU.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide support as needed to various functional groups within Financial Operations to include general accounting, AR, AP, payroll and the Controller’s office
• Create reports as needed to assist with financial management tasks
• Communicate with relevant collaborating teams as appropriate to accomplish accounting objectives
• Learn and apply financial policies and practices as they relate to ORAU’s standard operating procedures
• Daily tasks may include preparing general ledger account reconciliations, entering accounting transactions into the financial system and assisting with audit requests while learning how a financial department functions
REQUIREMENTS: Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in English, Communications Media, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or any STEM discipline, Accounting preferred. Candidates must have completed the requirements for the degree before beginning the internship, and the degree must have been earned within the preceding 12 months. Successful candidates will have a basic knowledge of accounting principles and will have coursework as evidence of the ability to apply this knowledge; will have strong problem-solving and analytic skills; will have excellent Excel skills and will be proficient in other Microsoft Office programs; will display versatility, flexibility and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
Location/Region: Oak Ridge, TN