JOB POSTING: BUILDING OFFICIAL
The incumbent in this position will reside with the Code Enforcement Department and report directly to the Public Works Director. The Building Official performs technical duties in enforcing construction codes to ensure public safety and health.
JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects construction work for which a building permit is required.
- Inspects new buildings, additions to and alterations of existing buildings for compliance with the currently adopted editions of the International Building Code, International Mechanical Code, International Plumbing Code, International Residential Code, and/or the National Electrical Code.
- Inspects building projects to ensure construction proceeds in accordance with plans approved with the building permit.
- Reads and interprets adopted codes, technical manuals, drawings, instructions, specifications as related to construction projects.
- Clearly notifies contractor of code violations at the time of inspection.
- Works with the public at the permit counter and on the phone to answer basic code questions.
- Verifies that all required special inspections are performed and reviewed for completeness.
- Review testing data and reports for conformance to specifications.
- Works with the MyPermitsNow software to schedule inspections and updates computer with results of inspections performed.
- Follows up to verify correction of violations are made and takes appropriate action to ensure compliance.
- Reviews all construction plans for code compliance.
- Evaluates existing buildings, on a complaint basis, for hazardous conditions and initiates abatement procedures per the currently adopted City Ordinances.
- Studies technical literature and attends meetings to keep current on applicable codes and code changes as they occur.
- Assists in preparing and managing budget for Code Enforcement Department; approves expenditures for same.
- Resolves interpretation issues for inspections of buildings under construction and existing buildings for compliance with the adopted Plumbing, Mechanical, Building and Electrical Codes; Evaluates modifications to adopted codes when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains records of plans, inspections, letters and reports prepared or used in connection with all building inspections; responds to questions from property owners and builders; interprets codes.
- Follows up on all conditional and temporary approvals.
- Works with other city departments in coordinating plan approval and building code related issues.
- Assist in investigating and processing all Code Enforcement complaints and work orders, including complaints of high grass, abandoned vehicles, and illegal signage.
- Assists in semi-annual inventory of all city equipment.
- Attends meetings and workshops and reads technical literature to keep current on code.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from high school and seven (7) years of experience in inspection or the construction trades or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a CBO (Certified Building Official) certification.
- Ability to detect hazards and violations and detail what the Codes require during field inspection work.
- Ability to enforce regulations with firmness, tact and impartiality in field inspection work.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of MyPermitsNow software is desired.
- Must have a valid Louisiana Driver License.
STARTING SALARY RANGE
$54,000 - $62,000
Please submit resume to: Mayor Barney Arceneaux
City of Gonzales
120 S. Irma Blvd.
Gonzales, LA 70737
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org